When I got up to leave at 8:15pm to make the twenty minute trek back home to my poor little dog who twisted his foot, one of the older guys asked why I was leaving so early. I said that I have school in the morning, to which he asked "what time is school?" I answered that I had to be there at 7am, and he was appalled, wondering what college course starts that early. When I told him that it's not me going to school, that I'm educating the future of tomorrow, he didn't believe me. Now, I've known him for a few years now...I've been going for this whole teaching thing since 2007...don't believe me? I had to explain to him how I teach 10th grade Living Environment to a bunch of kids that I love (though who love to give me a constant run for my money.) He still didn't believe me for a while...
Am I really not the "teacher-type?" Is there one?
Sure, if you would have told me five years ago that I was going to be a teacher, I'd have laughed in your face telling you that it couldn't be true. I had it stuck in my mind that it would be doctor or bust, no matter how foolish it seemed. And foolish it was...because now that I'm teaching, you couldn't pay me to do anything else. It's fun! I absolutely love it, even on the days that I want to come home crying. Seriously! Sure, a ton of work, definitely not a 9am-5pm job, frustrating at times, time-consuming grading and lesson planning and calling students' homes (for good and bad.) But when you're up at the front of a classroom, watching students who aren't seeming to get it all of a sudden reach the corner, and when they turn around that corner, everything comes into the light for them and "oooooo, I get it now" takes over...it's awesome. When the students confide in you, trusting you enough to share their problems and joys with, asking you for advice for their own futures...that's fabulous too. It's a completely satisfying and exhilarating yet frustrating and maddening job all at the same time with little respect. But when you think back on your life, you can describe the good ones no matter how long ago you went to school. Can you do that with the top football or hockey player from twenty years ago? Or what about the most influential business people? Nope...but teachers you can.
There's a poem...pretty much sums it up...
I think its great that you have found something you seem to really enjoy. I wish I had the same luxury as you do, I mean in finding something I am so passionate about. I think teachers are one of the few occupations that don't get all the credit they deserve.
ReplyDeleteBut how rewarding to know that your students look up to you, that they come to you...
What a fabulous feeling indeed.