01 January 2013

I'm A Construction Zone!

So in getting started with the new year, I downloaded a new app on my trusty iPhone. MyFitnessPal. It's free (amazing cause it seems like such a great site) and keeps track of what I eat and how much I exercise. I guess this is important to me because my clothes have gotten looser, but the scale has not budged at all...which is to be honest, a bit frustrating. I know that it shouldn't matter, because I'm losing inches, but women focus on the scale and that magical number. My goal is to lose 30 pounds...who knows if it will happen or if my body will let it. I'm noticing that celiac seems to pick a weight with you and doesn't want to let you move much from it, but we'll give this a go.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools




Let's take a view at Marie's weight journey over the years, shall we?

I started out as a skinny child. As in, there were no tights that fit properly, because they would all bunch up at my ankles. I was a string bean until puberty struck, which led to hips and a bit of a belly, but still nothing awful or anything. I'd say that I was happy with my figure until college...
Freshmen 15 + Parents' Divorce = Freshmen 50

 
Okay, so it's a old photo. I think I was 6 here? But the side shot gives you a clue at how itty bitty I was. I was even short for my age for a little while, not that you'd know that now that I'm 5' 10". Not to mention, you've got to love the late 80s outfits...my mom was a huge fan of putting us in turtlenecks.

High school, sophomore year...still thin...can't complain. Yup, that's me with my violin. I was damn good, won competitions. Wish I could say that I still play, but honestly I've not picked it up in a couple years now.

College, senior year...not too awful I guess, but definitely a butt and thighs. I was starting to feel like a house and uncomfortable in my skin. (I do have to say though, I have a really hard butt. My violin teacher in middle and high school used to call me "Buns of Steel" and it's kind of true. No matter how big I get, my butt stays really solid. I guess I have dancing for all of those years to thank for it?)

This is a few years later, maybe 2007? I had just come back from living in NYC for almost a year, and it wasn't too bad. I was fully in control of everything that I ate, and I tried to be a bit healthy here and there. Plus, I got a ton of exercise in with walking around the city, and my apartment was on the 10th floor with a rarely working elevator.

Don't tell my mom that she's in this blog too, ok? This was a couple months before I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and I was pretty blown up like a balloon...of fat. Trust me, you don't want to see the bottom half.

This is me this most recent summer...2012. Pretty awful if you ask me. This is what I am when I look in the mirror...and I'm not happy with it.

It's all about gaining confidence to be honest. I don't want to be the big girl, or "oh well she's big boned, that's all." I want to feel "just right." I do think I'm pretty, so it's not that. I don't even ever expect to be thin...just healthier and not labeled as being "obese" in my medical record chart. (Yup, saw that when I was in the hospital for my gallbladder right before being diagnosed with CD. Let me tell you, that hurt!)

Gym more often, cutting back on my sugar intake (I don't eat much really, but my sugar intake is insane I've noticed with this awesome app.) Drinking more water and eating out less. I just want to feel better in my own skin.

So here's to 2013 being that year. I'm a construction zone!



1 comment:

  1. Ah memories....you are beautiful!

    I know its hard, but you can do it. And if there is anything I can do let me know. Which yes I know, but I totally support you I know there are going to be days when you don't want to. But you will do great. Start small, then go...best of luck.

    ReplyDelete